2014 16 Days Campaign
2014 Theme: A Call to Action – Intersections between Violence against Women and Health
This year the GBV Prevention Network regional 16 Days of Activism Regional Campaign will focus on the intersection between Violence against Women (VAW) and health. Using one loud, collective voice, Network members will highlight the connection between ending VAW and community health. VAW leads to health problems ranging from low birth weight in babies to increased HIV risk of women, from depression to death. These health consequences, which have significant economic and social costs, can be prevented. Let’s take action to end VAW and keep women and the whole community healthy! Make sure to download the 16 Days of Activism Kit below.
We will ask local, national and global leaders, health workers and policy makers to commit to 5 actions:
- Show leadership: Recognize violence against women and girls as an important health and development barrier — allocate the sufficient resources to prevent and respond to violence.
- Create Equality: Change national and local level laws, policies and institutions that sustain inequality between women and men.
- Change Norms: Invest in local violence prevention programming, to promote gender equitable social norms, non-violent behaviours, and effective non-stigmatising responses for violence survivors.
- Challenge Sectors: Strengthen the role of sectors (health, security, education, justice), including integrating training, allocating budgets, creating policies and implementing systems to identify and support survivors, as part of a co-ordinated multi-sectoral response.
- Invest in research and civil society: Support research and civil society organizations to learn how best to prevent and respond to VAWG.
Download the 16 Days of Activism 2014 Action and Advocacy Kit Below:
Please download any of the materials below for your campaign.
1. 16 Days 2014 Colour Poster
3. 16 Days 2014 PowerPoint presentation to be used while engaging policy makers and other leaders
4. 16 Days 2014 Social Media Campaign
5. Booklet: A Global Call to Action to End Violence against Women and Girls
6. 16 Days 2014 Campaign press release aimed at helping partners launch the campaign in the media
7. 16 Days 2014 Campaign-specific talking points to aid partners when engaging with the media
8. Training module for health care workers
9. Tools to promote self-care for health-care workers and other VAW care givers
Join the Momentum!
Millions of leaders, policy makers, health care workers and community members across the Horn, East and Southern Africa will get involved in 16 Days of Activism discussions and collective actions this November. To engage them, we need proactive organizations in the Network to spark their attention and action on the intersections between VAW and health during the 16 Days of Activism
Have a wonderful campaign with an awesome 16 Days Action and Advocacy Kit!
To read more about the report and see members in action, click here
Remember to connect with the Network during 16 Days of Activism in the following ways:
Please contact the GBV Prevention Network at the following contacts if you have any questions.
Office Phone: +256 414 531 186
Join the activism. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org and find out how you can get involved!