What is Get Moving!?
Get Moving! is a process developed in response to Network members’ observations during a 2008 gathering in Cape Town. Many members voiced the desire to engage in a reflective process that would help individuals and organizations meditate on their commitment to VAW prevention, as well as refocus our work into movement building efforts. The goal was to create a transformative and sustainable analysis of VAW for the whole Network—to give life to a shared analysis.
In 2009, ten member organizations began the Get Moving! process:
- Agisanang Domestic Abuse Prevention and Training (ADAPT) South Africa
- Center for Domestic Violence Prevention (CEDOVIP) Uganda
- Centre for Rights Education and Awareness (CREAW) Kenya
- WITS Health Consortium, South Africa
- Kivulini Women’s Rights Organization, Tanzania
- Musasa Project, Zimbabwe
- Rwanda Men’s Resource Center (RWAMREC)
- White Ribbon Campaign, Namibia
- Women’s Legal Resources Centre (WOLREC) Malawi
- Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) Zambia
Their successes and challenges provided feedback which was used to create a revised version. Get Moving! was then re-launched at our 2012 GBV Prevention Network retreat in Kampala, where members were given the opportunity to sign commitment letters and receive the process tools for their organizations.